Thursday, January 6

2004: The Year in Nightlife

Last year was a very good one for going out on the town here in D.C. Since the WaPo recently published a scene retrospective, I thought I'd hit some of my own personal highlights.

First we had "Feint" a/k/a "hanging out with the drama club," which premiered in the late Winter 2004 and continued into May. It was also the place where we first ran into Bob Mould. I feel a little bad about never getting to see him spin at Velvet Lounge, but luckily I caught up with the show he and Rich Morel put on at "Blowoff," which I first attended in late September.

Feint morphed into "Taint," which I experienced for the first time on July 4th. I've been a regular ever since. Host club DC9 also welcomed a "BlogJam." Of course there was "Guerilla Queer Bar," and our buddy Mikey even gave a go of it at Tom Tom upstairs for "Day After." (Now revamped as "BigMo.") Even I couldn't make it to every event, so while I still hope to experience iPod Jukebox at Saint-Ex, I'm not sorry I passed on "Faux Taint" at Cobalt and too-cool-for-school "Mies."

Of course, the many great nights out in 2004 wouldn't have been half as much fun if it hadn't been able to share my rock-n-roll lifestyle with a small group of amazing friends. (You know who you are.) Looking back, Jamie and I were clearly in transition, seeking out the next thing since he had stopped playing rugby and we weren't hanging out with the Renegades gang as much. Thanks to all you guys for making it a fabulous year -- in an indie-pop-listening, dance-floor-shirt-exchanging, group-hugging, "modern" kinda way.

So what does 2005 hold in store? Can it possibly top last year's parade of spectaculars? You will have to tune in to find out, but we've got some good possibilities lined up already, including BlueStateDC this Saturday and GQB on inauguration Friday. Laissez les bons temps roulez!