Monday, September 27

Everything's Happy Underground - Okay, should someone who is about to turn 35 really be out on Saturday night drinking and dancing until three in the morning? The answer would be yes, when interesting events like Blowoff are making gay D.C. fun again. I describe the scene as the "anti-Cobalt": it's dark and dress-down, located at the basement bar of the 9:30 Club accessed by climbing down a grimy alley stairway and paying a modest $5 cover. Basically, it's the East Village come to the District. Inside, there are low ceilings and a mix of queer kids and scruffy bears (oh my!) grooving to an indie-electronic set list spun by alt-rock legend Bob Mould and local DJ Richard Morel (who also happen to be bloggers -- see Boblog and Morel Life, respectively). Keeping with that blog theme, I went to the show with good companions Kyle and Chrisafer and once there ran into some other folks I knew. Favorite moment among many: Chris introduced me to Mr. Mould by alluding to my participation in this website, to which Bob replied "Ah, Beaverhausen." I'm just thankful that (a) there are cool things to do in this town and (b) I'm still allowed to have this much fun.