Tuesday, January 4

More Bad News in Virginia

Consider this statement from today's Washington Times on a proposed state constitutional amendment banning gay marriage:

Lawmakers in Virginia are aiming to place the commonwealth at the forefront of the nation's battle against same-sex unions when the General Assembly reconvenes next week.

I guess the blue state mentality has just completely taken over my brain, because I find it very hard to fathom any possible need for a "battle" against same-sex unions. Sure, I comprehend why some straights want to keep the term "marriage" heterosexual, and even how many don't want official legal recognition for civil unions. But the WashTimes conjurs images of a war waged against the mere personal commitment between two people in love. And that's a mentality I have just about lost the ability to grasp.

Oh, and I love that we could soon see specialty Virginia license plates for supporters of "traditional marriage." Nothing like wearing your bigotry on your sleeve to impress the rest of the nation.