Wednesday, May 25

Culture Corner: Jedi Cowboys

The gang went to see RotS last night. Some reactions: Maybe because the critics and prior movies had prepared me for it, the bad dialogue and stilted acting didn't bother me that much. Besides, well, it was nice to see how Hayden Christensen had grown up. (If ILM could make him taller, couldn't they have made him less twinky?) Apparently I wasn't the only one to get a little creeped out by the daddy-son fetish thing going on between Anakin and Palpatine. And Lucas, you owed me more than a teasing parting shot of Joel Edgerton! Nevertheless, the sci-fi dork in me was very pleased to spot the all the references to the other movies, like the cameo played by Leia's blockade runner (complete with cheesy 70s-style interior) from the opening scenes of Episode IV.

When I got home from the movie I wasn't tired, so I read Brokeback Mountain. (Literally, from start to finish, in less than an hour.) Wow, what a powerful little story. I'm so ready for the movie now.