Monday, October 10

Focal Point

When the Senate opens hearings on Harriet Miers' SCOTUS nomination, Arlen Specter is looking to subpoena bigot brigadier James Dobson, head of Focus on the Family. After having been tipped off by Karl Rove himself, Jimmy D. has been saying he has inside knowledge about the Bush crony nice lady. Dobson recently told listeners to his radio show:

When you know some of the things that I know - that I probably shouldn't know - you will understand why I have said, without fear and trepidation, that I believe Harriet Miers will be a good justice.

Apparently, this nudge-and-a-wink is not satisfying the President's "base." (Anyone else notice that base is the English word for al qaeda?) From my point of view, the whole episode nicely encapsulates the two defining characterists of the Bush administration: bumbling incompetence in the affairs of state and servile pandering to the know-nothing right wing. I'm just amused how, in the end, Bush couldn't even get the pandering right.