Saturday, January 29

Viral Blogging

As Drew is to Ben, so Brian is to me. I join them in propogating the musical meme (rhymes with "dream") 'round our little corner of the blogosphere. Cuz what are friends for, if not sharing viruses?

1. What is the total amount of music files on your computer?

40.46Gb for a total 6010 songs. I'm far behind on transferring my old CD collection -- I don't own an iPod so I can't use one of those paid services -- but pretty much everything from recent years is on there. (I'm very much a computerized music person, ever since Jamie got me a Turtle Beach AudioTron for Christmas several years ago.)

2. The CD you last bought is:

Album: Nick Drake - Way to Blue
(wow, in September! shhh... don't tell the RIAA)
Single: Like a CD single? Never bought one.
Download: Ted Leo & the Pharmacists - "Me and Mia"*

* This was mostly a test-run of the iTunes Store. Frankly, I hate iTunes as jukebox software and much prefer the one by Real. With all its flaws, it does a far better job of organizing (and re-organizing) my mp3s. I even got it to work managing Jamie's iPod. So bite me, Steve Jobs.

3. What is the song you last listened to before reading this message?

The Killers - "Mr. Brightside (Morel's Downer Mix)"

4. Write down 5 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you.

Hmm. These are two really different questions, so it seems fair to answer with two lists. First up, I'm gonna try for "mean a lot to me." These reach back aways, so honestly I may not listen to them very often or even hardly at all these days:
  • Green Day, "Coming Clean" - a punk song about being 17 years old and in the closet
  • Ben Folds Five, "Underground" - hmm, is there a theme here?
  • Pink Floyd, "When the Tigers Broke Free" - before anything else, I was a Floydie - this song is not on The Wall album, only in the Alan Parker movie -- a staple of my life as a high school senior
  • The Connells, "Sat Nite (USA)" - the first band I ever hung out with backstage
  • Smashing Pumpkins, "1979" and New Radicals, "Someday We'll Know" - both songs evoke the same emotions for me
  • The Stone Roses, "Song For My Sugar Spun Sister" - yes, yes, I'm old
Yes, that's more than five. Sue me. At least I didn't mention "Mandy," which for complicated reasons reminds me of my great-grandfather. Next, here's more of a "what's on my mp3 player now" kind of list - check 'em out:

5. Who are you going to pass this stick to? and why?

David - the original indie-queer dancing cub.
Michael - a fixture on the DC good-music scene.
Patrick - the Bhaus reader who's stuck with me the longest