Thursday, April 14

Hell Hath No Fury Like a Nerd Scored

...below 2400 on the SAT, that is. After the non-stop hype about the new SAT, the LA Times has a follow-up piece as the first batch of students receive their scores (online, no less!) on the scale of 600 to 2400. There were over a hundred perfect scores but Kevin Shin was not one of them:
Shin, a 16-year-old junior at Whitney High School in Cerritos, came close. He said his mother woke him up at 5:30 a.m. Monday to check his SAT results. She was happy with his 2340. He was more ambivalent, especially since he took a test prep course. "I'd like to say I was happy about it, but I don't know if it shows any intelligence," he said. "I feel like I purchased the score."

You run back to Kaplan and you demand your money back now, Kevin!

Update: The Washington Post chimes in with their local take on the story...without revealing a single score!