Thursday, March 24

Children: An Urban Blight

Now, I'm a sucker for articles about urban planning. So I was intrigued when I started to read in the New York Times a story about revitalized neighborhoods in cities that seemed devoid of children. The article specifically notes that

San Francisco, where the median house price is now about $700,000, had the lowest percentage of people under 18 of any large city in the nation, 14.5 percent, compared with 25.7 percent nationwide, the 2000 census reported.

Now, I hate to overbeat the gay drum, but how could you not acknowledge the fact that in addition to having astronomical prices for real estate, San Francisco's statistics are likely skewed by the city's high percentage of gay residents. Seems like irresponsible reporting from the NYT to me.