Sunday, August 15

I Hate Every Character - That's the feeling I get lately watching HBO's Six Feet Under, and Tom Shales, WP TV critic, feels my pain. I actually used to like this group of dark characters, even Ruth Fisher. This season though, mother Fisher has gone on my sh*tlist along with the formerly likeable Claire, Rico and Brenda. The issue has become particularly acute since David's episode-long run-in with the carjacker. The unpleasant descent of so many characters is swamping the most interesting plot development -- gay cop Keith's crazy job as a celebrity bodyguard, where he gets propositioned by both his "straight" co-worker and his female boss. (Coming out at work has its unexpected side-effects.) Shales' point is that this problem is endemic at HBO, since you can hardly turn to Carnivale or Deadwood for uplifting stories. But hey, that's what we have CBS reality TV for, right?