Thursday, August 12

Not the Lilith Fair - Unlike Ben, I was not a big fan when I went to hear Sarah McLachlan, but my sister is, so I had bought tickets to go to last night's performance at Merriwether Post for her birthday. In the end, Kate couldn't make it, but I thought I should still go see what the fuss was about anyway. The experience didn't turn me into a convert, but it was pleasant enough. With the notable exception of a beautifully spare arrangement of "Angel," Sarah was better when she got up from the piano. She kept me entertained with well-known old songs, like the haunting AIDS ballad "Hold On," a personal favorite ever since I first heard it on 1993's outstanding benefit compilation No Alternative . And the crowd certainly enjoyed Ms. McLachlan's dedication of "Building a Mystery" to George Dubya. Still, I wish my sister had been able to come - I know she would have enjoyed the show even more.