Thursday, May 20

Moral Crusader? - Last week, it was announced that Hooters is planning to open its first Sacramento location this fall. The selected site: the shopping center two miles down the road from our house, alongside a grocery store, sandwich shop and video store. Of course, the community is up in arms, inluding Holly Brickner, a co-founder of the North Natomas Alliance and, along with her husband, one of the premier real estate agents in the area.

The Hooters crowd note that the concept is a family sports bar, similar to a TGI Friday or an Applebee's. Most opponents worry that the site selected by Hooters is across the street from a high school and close to parks and playgrounds. But that's not my objection. I don't need another Uncle Moe's Family Feedbag or Texas Cheesecake Depository! Why can't we have something different...maybe an interesting, local Mexican restaurant with a unique menu? But perhaps I'm asking too much. Check in with me in November and see if I've succumbed and become a regular at my local Hooters.