Friday, October 3

Like Father, Like Son-Daughter - What a bizarre (and seriously deficiently reported) story about a transgendered woman involved in legal wranglings over the Hemingway estate. Here's an old Advocate article that clears the air.

This gives me an opening to express some of my views about the "T" in LGBT. It's always made me feel a bit uncomfortable to find myself lumped, as a gay person, together with those who seek to reassign their gender. Sure, I understand how gays and trans-people have a similar desire to get society off their backs when it comes to how they want to live. But it seems to me that the experience of being gay and that of feeling "trapped in the wrong sex" couldn't be more different. Psychoanalyze me as you will, but I've never wanted to be un-male. Quite the opposite. I'm attracted to men but not because I think I am (or should be) feminine in any way.

As a political project, one could in theory classify both gays and T*s under the radical label queer, but the activists who do so are attempting to hijack my identity in the service of their campaign against social norms. In case you haven't noticed, I'm not really all that revolutionary, so that doesn't sit well with me. In any event, I support the transgendered cause of liberty and freedom, but not because we're alike, but because it should be the birthright of every citizen.