Wednesday, October 1

The Onion Imitates Life - At my high school, the administration had long allowed the seniors a walled-off locker room of their own -- furnished with collegiate-style disposable furniture and equipped with a stereo and other typical trappings. Needless to say, many shenanigans ensued behind the closed door to the senior lounge. I can't remember any specific incident that broke the camel's back, but when my class's turn arrived to take over the fabled lair, we found the wall demolished. What had been a dark, mysterious refuge for upperclassmen had been turned into a simple exposed alcove whose every activity was plainly visible from the corridor. My classmates gnashed their teeth over this denial of our birthright, but to no avail.

I tell this story to refute the notion that The Onion doesn't contain deeper truths. Just like their article about my 11th grade U.S. History teacher.