Thursday, October 7

Donna Summers To Update Hit Song: On The Satellite Radio - Two big stories in radio this week. Firstly, Bob Edwards' new show on XM satellite radio debuted. The former Morning Edition host claims not to be frustrasted in starting out with the small XM audience: "I understand that it's something new. I was at NPR in NPR's third year, and they had fewer listeners then than XM has now. Now I'm joining XM in its third year, and I understand that you start small and build. I fully anticipate that we'll have as many listeners, that this audience is going to grow more rapidly than it did at NPR."

Also announced was that Howard Stern will be moving to Sirius satellite radio at the end of his contract with Infinity in 2006. Will the promise of uncensored Stern cause droves of listeners to jump on the satellite bandwagon? I've enjoyed the feature in a rental car before, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to buy the hardware and subscribe to the service.