Friday, July 16

Good Things and Good Behavior - Well, Martha's going to jail for a lot shorter of a period than most pundits speculated: only 5 months. And she won't have to start serving time until next year. In her sentencing this morning, the doyenne of domesticity made a statement that included the following passage:

"I have been choked and almost suffocated to death during that time, all the while more concerned about the well-being of others than for myself, more hurt for them and for their losses than for my own, more worried for their futures than the future of Martha Stewart the person."

Attending movie premieres and other social events doesn't strike me as warranting a metaphorical comparison to choking. I'd imagine that jail is going to be even more claustrophobia-inducing, Martha. When you get out, we'll be right here waiting for you.