Monday, January 12

Mom & Dad's Book Club - I've started reading Jamie O'Neill's novel At Swim, Two Boys, which my Jamie gave me for Christmas. I mentioned it to Tim the other day, since he's big into his Irish heritage, thinking he might enjoy the book, which concerns a love between two Dublin boys set around the time of the 1916 Easter Uprising. Turns out, Tim's older sister had given it to him for Christmas as well.

That got me thinking. I don't believe I've ever had a well-meaning straight relative give me anything gay-oriented. And more to the point, my straight family members have to my knowledge never read any gay literature. (My mom's Patricia Cornwell mysteries don't count.) It seems like one of the best ways to get your parents or others to comprehend the experience of being gay would be to have them read a well-written and thought-provoking account of the life - either biography or fiction. Does anyone out there have personal experience with such a project? How did it work out? Any books that are particularly good at conveying the message? And what are the pros and cons of trying? Just wondering.