Tuesday, July 20

Buddy System - I think we've all encountered the Straight Sign -- those ostentatiously heterosexist remarks and behaviors that help straight guys reassure each other of their non-gayness.  While it is perhaps an understandable strategy of today's sensitive straight metrosexual in mixed company ("don't get the wrong idea, man"), I'm intrigued that they also seem to do it strictly amongst themselves. 
 
Jamie and I most recently ran into this reverse-gaydar thing when hanging out with my new co-workers at a happy hour.  Not that we were particularly curious, but several of the younger males went way out of their way to mention either girlfriends or their attraction to hootchie mamas at the bar.  But then later one got tipsy and kept asking me why people are always mistaking him for a homo.  I'm not sure, but I don't think that's one of the "straight signs."