Sunday, May 18

Mom Made Me a Decorator - It was Blake, who watches too much daytime TV, that first clued me in to Oprah's favorite decorator -- Nate Berkus. Inveterate Winfrey-watcher Ben (he actually TiVo's her show) took pity on me for being so out-of-the-loop and forwarded me some other articles about him, including this delightful profile:

His mother -- local interior designer and television personality Nancy Golden -- instilled that spirit of creativity in him. "My mom used to wake me up and make me sit there while she rearranged the accessories on the mantle," Berkus says. "I did," admitted his mother, who has three decorating shows on DIY, the Do It Yourself Network. "I'd tell him, 'I can't figure out how to do this.' " No wonder Golden asked for her son's help -- he once rearranged the furniture at a friend's house. When he was 10. "And when he was a freshman at college, his roommate had things arranged randomly, but Nate's side of the room looked like a Polo store, with hunting pictures, a reading lamp and a plaid comforter," his mother remembers proudly.

(Paging Herr Doktor Freud...) Now, we're all used to the gay interior designer, but finding one who is also cute, that's kind of a treat. The only problem is that I'm so late to the game it seems half of fagdom has already swooned for him.