Friday, April 11

Does there have to be a new Scud Stud? - MTV's Gideon Yago is profiled by mediabistro.com, in story written by my former Stanford classmate Jesse Oxfeld (remember the national firestorm when he was fired from the Stanford Daily for writing an article about Chelsea Clinton?). There's been some criticism of his lack of experience and journalistic credentials, but I have to say, watching Gideon's Diary special from Kuwait City was incredibly informative to me. The interviews with random Kuwaiti teenagers that took place at a mall that appears to have had a Gucci and Starbucks and other recognizable stores proved my ignorance of life in the Middle East. I appreciated the fact that MTV wasn't making assumptions that viewers already had a strong background about the historical buildup to the war in Iraq. Of course, I'm a little older than the target MTV demographic, but I still think that their televised news reports were some of the most informative that I've seen.