Wednesday, April 9

Gay-Straight Alliances - On the same day that the GLSEN Day of Silence took place, the courts also decided that schools must take an active role in fighting taunts against gays on campus. This weekend, at the National School Boards Association conference, representatives from GSA's held a workshop to encourage schools to do just that. Nevertheless, there has been some controversy about the Day of Silence, and claims that the underlying message of the protest is to promote homosexuality. While I fully disagree with that position, I wonder whether I ever would have participated in such an even when I was in high school. I admire the thoughtful, peaceful means of having their voices heard through non-communication, but I think I probably would have been intimidated to take such a stand without having much peer backing and support.