Friday, March 14

Character Counts - Many of my fellow residents of downtown/midtown Sacramento are up in arms, as it has been reported that New Helvetia, an independent gay-friendly coffeehouse (and THE gathering place for 18-and-under gay and questioning youth) is closing. But to add insult to injury, many fear that the unique character of this former firehouse-turned-coffeehouse will be destroyed as corporate behemoth Krispy Kreme takes over the site. Now, I'm not one to block the "progress" of corporate gentrification...I was thrilled when Pottery Barn opened an urban location at Castro and Market Streets in San Francisco (ideal for quick, free parking!) and I'm excited for the new Pyramid Brewery and PF Changs being built within walking distance of our apartment. There's already a Starbucks and Java City nearby the location of New Helevetia--their coffee wasn't very remarkable, the noise levels had a tendency to be very high, and I can't say that I patronized it very frequently. Nevertheless, I will bemoan the fact that midtown is losing a unique characteristic, because the kids who hang out there have lost a safe place to congregate.