Saturday, January 11

Resolved - One of my New Years resolutions was to become more actively involved in my local community. I figured, not only is it good karma to help others, but also that I should probably make efforts to increase my friendship base in Sacramento after living here for a year. So, this morning, in the spirit of becoming a community activist, I attended the monthly meeting of our local chapter of GLSEN, the Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network. There were only about 10 people at the meeting: me, a couple lesbian students, a few PFLAG mothers and the rest teachers. Without boring you on the details, I should share that there was no written agenda and so the meeting lasted for two hours. So, we'll see if participation in GLSEN gives me a greater sense of community and belonging, but the strangest realization I had (especially as I've become aware of deeply my liberalism runs) was how anti-teachers union I am. Collective bargaining with teachers unions is one of the most challenging aspects of role of a school board member, and so I've been exposed to the horror stories in my job. But, at the very least, the participants were excited for my presence, as they somehow regarded me as an Education Professional. Perhaps that will become a self-fulfilling prophesy.