Tuesday, July 16

Playing Favorites - Discussing the relevancy of the Outfest gay film festival, LA Weekly also asks filmmakers about their favorite gay films. I am ashamed to admit that I have not seen the vast majority of movies named on this list, especially some of the most often listed: Parting Glances, The Boys in the Band and Taxi zum Klo.

For movies that might be considered to have a gay sensibility, I think PeeWee's Big Adventure is an inspired choice. Big Daddy seemed to have the right intentions in depicting its gay couple, but the audience I saw the movie with wasn't able to handle the comedic, fairly chaste kiss between the two men. One film that didn't make the list, but that would certainly get my nomination is Madonna: Truth or Dare. I might even grant the campy, over-the-top comedy of Clue inclusion on my personal list. My oddball choice for that list is an 80's-teen-sex-comedy called Just One of the Guys, about a female high school student who goes undercover as a boy at a rival high school in order to be taken seriously as a journalist. The character trying to gain insight into the the adolescent male world of lockerroom bravado definitely carried a gay sensibility for me.

In terms of films that are more direct in their portrayal of gays, surprisingly, I found the lesbian-centric Bound to be a a powerful and erotic movie. I would add Chasing Amy to the list, with its not-so-subtle subtext of the love Jason Lee's character has for Ben Affleck's character. I was also astounding to find that no one had mentioned Beautiful Thing, a small but touching movie about two British lads who fall in love. And for all its silliness, I would have thought that at least one person would have mentioned Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.

For a more mainstream selection of gay Top Tens or a wider variety, see the lists at About.com and PlanetOut.