Monday, July 15

Road to Perdition - Saw the likely-to-be-Oscar-nominated film this weekend. It was well acted, beautifully photographed and just a little bit emotional. However, every critical piece of the plot was revealed in the trailer, which sort of destroyed the overall experience for me. Jennifer Jason Leigh gets fourth billing for barely 5 lines of dialogue. Although, there is precious little dialogue anywhere in the movie, as backstory is told through action rather than words such as a piano duet between Sullivan and Rooney (Hanks and Newman) showing their complex relationship and the constant smile/sneer exhibited by Rooney's son, Connor. But, overall, I do have to agree with Salon's review of the movie describing it as being directed with an "airless grip." The issues of morality and father-son relationships are clearly critical to the film, but I didn't find myself especially invested in the characters to see how they were addressed. The ending was visible from the moment the main plot points set into action. I also found myself agreeing with Roger Ebert's review of the film, where he knew that he admired the movie, but wasn't sure if he liked it or not. Road was a very solid, but never truly drew me in to its emotional core, so I'd have to give it a B-.