Wednesday, June 12

Phoebe's Lil Bro - My old classmate, Dan Pintauro, Jonathan Bower of Who's the Boss fame, has an opinion on coming out. While I claim no expertise on small town life, and I will certainly be reminded of my liberal California bias, even I recognize how hopelessly out of touch Mr. Pintauro seems. I do believe that coming out is important, but only if one is adequately prepared for the potential consequences of telling people. The piece is a fine pep talk, but it fails to address the fact that small town life isn't always about Wigstock, romantic vacations to Puerto Vallarta and Pride parades. Perhaps his opinion could be influenced by reading this moving tribute in the Washington Blade that John found, showing that coming out can be as simple as an acknowledgment like "good for you." While I agree with his underlying message, in the execution it's difficult to hear from a former television star who was born in the burbs of Jersey, lived in Los Angeles, went to college in the Bay Area and now lives in Manhattan.